Pre-Kindergarten Program (PKP)
Pre-Kindergarten supports children who have a first language other than English or mild, moderate or severe delays in their development to build their strengths and skills in a playful, language-rich environment.
- Develop speech, language and motor skills
- Learn to share, problem solve and express themselves
- Discover new experiences, friends and a love of learning
- Build self-esteem and confidence in a playful and welcoming environment
- Improved ability to socialize and play with others
- Increased opportunities to share and celebrate a variety of cultural backgrounds with classmates
- Increased opportunities for families to connect with the school community and support their child’s learning before Kindergarten
- Half-day classes scheduled four days per week
- Class sizes ranging from 8 to 16 children
- Playful, engaging and organized learning environment
- Flexible instruction based on children’s needs and interests
- Access to multidisciplinary support, such as speech and language, physical therapy, occupational therapy and school family liaison services to help children work on communication, mobility and sensory exploration
To be eligible for Pre-Kindergarten, children must have a first language other than English or mild, moderate or severe developmental delays.
Pre-Kindergarten may be available to children for one, two or three years of programming, depending on children’s needs. For more information, contact a school offering Pre-Kindergarten.
Children who have:
- severe developmental delays are eligible if they are two years old on or bef
Screening and information sessions for 2017-2018 are now over. For the 2018-2019 school year, families will be invited to attend a screening or information session in March 2018 to find out if your child is eligible for Pre-Kindergarten.
All Edmonton Public Schools programming is based on curriculum determined by Alberta Education. Children enrolled in Pre-Kindergarten will receive the same high-quality education offered in all of our programs.
For more information about yellow bus service, contact a school offering Pre-Kindergarten or call Student Transportation at 780-429-8585.
CONTACTFor more information about Pre-Kindergarten, contact a school offering the program or District Support Services at 780-429-8030.ore January 1
- mild or moderate special education needs are eligible if they are three years old on or before March 1
- a first language other than English are eligible if they are three years old on or before March 1
Screening and information sessions